Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thoughts on Adventure


I feel newly inspired. And perhaps I shouldn't share the idea just yet. But no matter, it all comes out soon anyway. Adventure. What is it? Who goes on adventures? Summing it up: aren't all stories about some sort of adventure? Perhaps not every person carries a whip or beats up villains, but it seems to me that an adventure is about achieving a goal; overcoming obstacles. For Indiana Jones, its the typical beat up the bad guys and save the day--like a medieval knight. Superman, Batman, Spongebob Squarepants, parents, professors, so on and so forth. Homer's epics are large stories of adventure but there are other, smaller stories that make the large one's possible. Due to a recent close to home happening, I recall a certain poem I wrote for a poetry class a year ago entitled "The Battle at Marathon". The poem regards a certain male entity who endures a near death experience in order to reach the ultimate goal. Fertility. And it's a small point, but I've been thinking about it. Doesn't the male reproductive DNA go on it's own journey to create larger journeys for everyone. It has to survive, much like Odysseus, who sails the seas running into foreign lands, barely escaping with his life. So, short, simple and sweet, this is an interesting idea I'm playing with for my next short story. An interview... something to ponder, TBA in story form.

No comments:

Post a Comment