Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thoughts on the Odyssey


Just thinking here . . . why is it that I've fallen head over heels in love with Homer's Iliad but I'm struggling to fall in love with the Odyssey? It's not that the story is uninteresting . . . The Odyssey tends to be the story children fall in love with. Odysseus goes on crazy adventures, running into the Cyclops, Polyphemus, his men are turned into pigs and he takes on challenges by the gods. And these were the stories I loved in the ninth grade when Mr. Berger told us all to pull out our English books and begin reading. We read at home and sometimes we read aloud in class. (Of course, I read the name "Nobody" as "Nobdy" . . . but, oh well). And I fell in love. However, today, it seems the other way around. Totally intimidated by the Iliad, I several times took on the task of reading this monster only to make it through book one (if I was persistent enough to even make it through that) And the Iliad was filled with blood pulp and other types of gore. Am I just that sick these days? I'm not for sure. However, in my quest to discover the meaning of "truth", I think I've discovered the reality in the Iliad. People can be very cruel. And although Homer's Iliad is fictional, the grotesque brutality of human nature is very real--it is a story about men backed into corners; men threatened. And although Odysseus is certainly threatened in the Odyssey, I do not see him as being threatened the same way as the characters in the Iliad. Not even Odysseus himself is threatened the same way in the Odyssey as he is in the Iliad. True, his life is threatened, but he puts himself there. It is as though he had such great success in Troy that his head has only grown bigger in the sequel. Much like many ball players I've known in my time, Odysseus is frankly, a cocky s.o.b. He overly believes in himself thinking himself almost invinsible. And perhaps that is why the story doesn't strike me as much. Not because the story isn't good. I still love the adventures Odysseus goes on, but he is nevertheless that cocky basketball player I knew in high school. Both stories are true to human nature no matter what magic the gods possess. And Odysseus' truth is, he's full of himself, making me understand why he's gone from Ithaca for 20 years. But Odysseus, I'm only your cheerleader in the Iliad; I don't mind that your cocky ass has trouble making it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment